In a last-minute development worthy of a bad made-for-TV movie, Meghan Markle’s dad reportedly won’t attend her wedding to Prince Harry in England on Saturday.
That news comes courtesy of TMZ (translation: It’s probably spot-on) and means the California native will have to find someone else to walk her down the aisle at St. George’s Chapel on the grounds of Windsor Castle.
Thomas Markle, 73, told TMZ he had a heart attack six days ago, but checked himself out of the hospital so he could attend his 36-year-old daughter’s nuptials. But the former TV lighting director also has been caught up in a scandal of sorts involving photos he now admits to posing for and which were then sold for large sums of money.
On Sunday the Daily Mail reported that Thomas Markle had been working with a photographer to stage photos ahead of his trip overseas, and that the photos had been sold to publications around the world for “north of $100,000.”
On Monday, Markle told TMZ he’d “meant no harm to Meghan or the Royal Family” when he made a deal that had little to do with money where he was concerned.
“Markle tells us over the last year he’s been ambushed by paparazzi who have photographed him in the most unflattering circumstances,” TMZ reported. “Thomas says the paparazzi agency approached him, offered him money — though nowhere near the reported $100k — and he figured there was no harm in it and it would help recast his image.”
Markle now “deeply regrets” that decision and will stay away from the wedding, according to TMZ.
There’s been no official confirmation yet from Kensington Palace, which has been gradually releasing details about the elaborately and expertly choreographed wedding ceremony and related events (Read all about it here).
Expertly choreographed until now, it seems.
“It is now not clear who will walk Markle down the aisle,” DailyMail.com reported late Monday afternoon.